Thursday, July 9, 2015

My backyard Jesus

Last summer (2014) I noticed in the backyard there was a dead branch in the woods and it looked like Jesus to me. I found myself sitting on the porch and saying things like, "Hi Jesus!"

Soon, I found myself talking to him, telling him my burdens, asking him for advice. Now, I knew full well that this was just a dead branch.

So, as I said before, I was so enchanted by this backyard Jesus that I found myself opening the blinds and saying, "Good Morning, Jesus!" each day. I looked forward to it. This picture was from last summer. Looks like Jesus, right? So, summer turned into fall, and fall turned into record snowfall winter. (remember the snow?) Life went on, and frankly, I'd forgotten about the branch in the backyard, and went on to other things (Like shoveling).

Fast forward to Easter morning....... I was getting ready for work, and thought about the whole Easter morning resurrection thing and thought to myself, "I wonder if backyard Jesus made it through the winter?" So I went to the window and looked out. I saw nothing. No Jesus. For a few minutes I was sad...... Genuinely sad. I walked around the house moping a bit about it.

About an hour later, I looked out the window again, and there we was. Backyard Jesus HAD made it through the winter!!! (I learned the next morning that at certain times, he was in the shadows and couldn't be seen easily) So, a true Easter morning resurrection!! He no longer resembled the full, vibrant Jesus of last summer. Now, beaten, battered, and downtrodden, Jesus was still there anyway. He had battled the cold of death, the winter of 2015, and he stood strong through it all. For me? Who knows? I got giddy again, and said something like, "Hallelujah! he has risen!" Ok it wasn't that dramatic, but still... the parallels.. the whole Easter thing. I got goosebumps. This picture was taken Easter morning: So, to sum up...I told this story to a friend of mine who said that I probably could sell backyard Jesus on Ebay or something and get real money. Which is funny to me, because, it could be true. However, I don't know.. I like having him out there. I like saying my good mornings to him (Yup, the branch). Hey, it makes me feel good, ok? Anyway, he doesn't look like he did last summer anymore. He may not make it through next winter as he is looking mighty weak.

 So... for now. I'm keeping my backyard Jesus just the way he is. Praise be.

No comments:

Post a Comment